Thursday, November 8, 2007

Life with Lynsey!

So Lynsey is now 5 days old and we are just loving her more than ever! She wasn't eating very well for the first few days, and had the medical professionals that followed up with us quite concerned because of it. She didn't want to eat every two to three hours, and apparently there are no exceptions - all babies must eat this often or there's something wrong! She didn't have jaundice (they checked that out), she was pooping and peeing at an acceptable rate (if you never thought you would ever have to closely examine poop you just wait until you have a baby!), she was gaining weight and not being fussy . . . and yet every professional I talked to could not accept the fact that she was only eating every 4 to 5 hours sometimes. I've come to the conclusion at this point that she knows when she wants to eat and knows what to do for that to be offered to her, and I am not going to try and force her to eat when she doesn't want or need to. We found out at the doctor today that she is back up to her birth weight already, which is apparently a very rapid weight gain pace! I think we might have a little chubbers on our hands soon! Anyway, she is eating well now, and I will not be waking her up to eat more often than she needs to just because some public health nurses and doctors think there are no exceptions to the rule. She has slept really well the last few nights, only waking up to eat and then going back to sleep almost right after. She has at least one or two fussy times per day, which is always hard to take because of course we would rather she didn't have any, but all in all I think she is a very good baby. She is so cute when she's all alert and looking at us, checking us out - she has smiled a few times (accidentally I'm sure!) and I'm looking forward to watching her do new things and become more and more aware of her surroundings. Brian and I are actually getting a reasonable amount of sleep considering - obviously I'm not as well rested as I would like to be, but what new mom is! We've had a lot of encouraging phone calls from family and friends and things are going really well. I am recovering very nicely - still a bit sore, but really it's not much considering what my body has gone through! The human body really is an amazing thing! I've posted a few pictures of some cute moments over the last few days - she seems to really like sleeping with her arms above her head, which is kind of funny because her ultrasound showed her like that AND she came out with her arm beside her shoulder, which was the reason for the tearing that I experienced! So we don't swaddle her arms anymore - she needs to be free to flail them about:).






No comments: