Thursday, April 5, 2012

Tough times

Well, there have been some hard days since my last post. Adam caught some kind of hand foot and mouth disease and for the first part of last week was a miser. He was waking up at night screaming for me to sing his favorite song at the moment (Seek Ye First) and it was really getting out of hand. For a while there we were singing it to him until he fell asleep just because it was the easiest thing to do, but when he started waking up during the night and demanding it, we decided that it was getting ridiculous and needed to stop. Weaning him off that song was not easy! Wow there were some crazy tantrums. Wednesday morning was when it all came to a head - Nathan was fussy and Adam was following me around whining for me to pick him up, throwing things around. By 9:30am I was on the verge of a meltdown! Thank goodness some Tylenol helped Adam and Nathan eventually settled, helping me see the light at the end of the tunnel. Adam started getting back to his usual self towards the end of the week, causing Brian and I to breathe a big sigh of relief. I was getting worried that this new behavior was because of the new baby and it was going to keep happening. He's still a bit difficult at times, but I feel much more like I can manage it now.

Nathan has had some pretty bad days (and nights) mixed in with some good days (and nights). He is a very gassy baby, which is so frustrating for me. Why couldn't I experience at least one content baby?! Adam was probably the best of all three in terms of how gassy he was, and he wasn't overly content. The good days sure do help me see a brighter picture, but I can say with a fair amount of certainty that Nathan will be my last baby. Maybe if I had easier babies I wouldn't be so certain about this, but the crying really does wear a person out (especially at 3am!). He is 5.5 weeks, so in theory he's supposed to start getting better next week. Lynsey started getting noticeably better around 8 weeks, so better days are coming! He has started smiling which helps make some of the fussy times not seem so bad:). He has been looking at me a lot more, showing some interest in interacting. This is where the fun begins for me, when they start interacting!

We're off to Edmonton today for Easter. Fingers crossed for a good trip with minimal screaming!









No comments: