Friday, July 27, 2012

Getting on a schedule . . . relief!

I feel like I blog fairly often, and yet when it comes time to do it again, I am still overwhelmed by everything that I have thought throughout the week that I should blog about, and have already forgotten:(. I do my best to highlight all the important events of my children's lives (I sure hope you kids will appreciate this later!) and yet I know I'm missing stuff along the way. Oh, well - at least I'm trying!

Nathan is getting on a bit of a schedule! Hurray! I have such a hard time these early months when my babies just aren't on a schedule yet - how can you make appointments? Plan playdates? How do you know when your baby is going to need to eat and sleep more than a few hours in advance? It's so hard! We're not completely there yet, but it's definitely gotten better in the last week or so. He hasn't been eating at night for about a week (with the exception of two nights ago when he was definitely hungry at 4:30 - what was that about??) and he's getting 5 feedings during the day. I started him on morning cereal a few days ago, and I'm hoping to get him cut down to four feedings some time soon (although I have only ever done this with my kids when they were already on the bottle, so I'm not sure if it will happen while still breastfeeding?). I am now giving him a bottle of formula for his last feeding before bed, and I'm thinking that over the next month, I will slowly be weaning him off breastfeeding. It is so hard to nurse with him constantly looking around, pulling, etc. My milk supply is having a hard time keeping up with him at this point anyway. Six months is always my goal, and I think I should be able to make it until then:). His naps are good some days, bad other days. Often he only has three naps, but on days when he is only sleeping 45 minutes at a time, he has to have at least four, especially since he struggles with staying up for even an hour and a half at a time.

All in all, I'm happy that he's becoming a bit more predictable! And he's such a happy baby still! He loves his jolly jumper and exersaucers, and is rolling all over the place! In my last post I mentioned that he was ALMOST rolling back to tummy, and he mastered it like a day after that:). We put him in his gym and a few minutes later, he's rolled to the couch! He's the first of my kids to roll both directions this young! When he's on his tummy, he is working hard at advancing himself, digging in those knees so he can push forward. Early crawler maybe?? I was looking back at old posts from when Adam was a baby, and I also thought he might be an early crawler - HA! Mother doesn't always know best:).

Adam is starting to communicate to us when he needs help with something, which is a big help to US. He will come and take my hand and lead me to something and tell me he wants something, and the other day he actually said "Want to help you" (he still hasn't mastered pronouns) and then when I asked him what he wanted help with, he told me what he wanted (it was the bubble solution:)). It's a process with him, and he's had a few rough days now with lots of screaming and frustration, but we're pretty sure that's because he's been a bit under the weather again. He does not seem to handle being sick very well at all! Bedtimes have been a nightmare again! Hopefully once he kicks this cold he'll settle back down again. I can't tell you how frustrating the screaming and destructive behaviour is. I just want to scream back at him, even though I know it's counter-productive! His communication skills are slowly improving, and I have hope that the tantrums will continue to lessen with time. Somehow I just have to ensure that he never gets a cold again haha!:) He is such a funny boy sometimes. Brian put on this big Cat in the Hat type hat at his parents house, and every time Adam looked at him, he would start giggling away! And then he put it on himself and thought that was just hilarious as well! I wish I could see inside his little head to know what he was thinking - how much does he understand about what's going on? What does he think about his little world? Such a special little guy:).

I have such an independent little girl - she would like it if we never had to help her with another thing in her life:). I don't think I blogged about this, but several weeks ago, she mastered pumping on the swing - such a milestone! One more thing she can do all by herself! I took her clothes shopping last Saturday while we were in Edmonton (Brian's brother was visiting from Manitoba with his family) and she told me when we got to the store in no uncertain terms that SHE was going to pick everything out. And she did. I tried to negotiate on a few items, but I have learned the hard way that if she doesn't like something I buy, she will NOT wear it without a MAMMOTH blowup (which I have also learned is just not worth it). I tried to steer her away from racks of stuff that I really didn't like, but in the end, I was okay with everything she picked:). I know her independence will serve her well in her life! Must remind myself of that on a daily basis!


















No comments: