It can't seriously be just over a month until Christmas! Wow! Fall has been marching on, the weather has been really dry which is nice, a bit cold for these parts but nothing our Canadian blood can't handle lol! Lynsey's school volleyball wrapped up with some parties, and Brian and Andy got a new bumper bar installed on the Civic! I'm so happy they were able to do that on their own, the body shop wanted soooo much money for this repair (I'm sure it would have been a bit more thorough, but we just wanted to keep her somewhat road worthy!).
Nathan had his piano recital last Sunday. He did AMAZING! He was playing a pretty tricky song, and in practice he wasn't playing it all that well and I was a bit concerned that he was in a bit over his head:-/. Well, what do I know because apparently my kids are born performers under pressure and he went up there and absolutely nailed it - best I had heard him play it yet! I was so proud of him, as this is an area I struggle in so much. I have such a hard time performing in front of others. Anyway, our whole family was there to watch and Adam did fantastic! I think he really enjoyed listening to the performances, there were some beautiful pieces being played. All in all, a successful evening!
The day I wrote my last blog post, Sunday November 6th, I started feeling a bit sick in the evening. I thought it was nothing and surely would be gone by morning, but alas it was not:-(. Both Lynsey I were pretty sick that whole week. I started feeling a bit better by Wednesday but it sort of came back the next day, just a bad cold. Not Covid. I actually still have a bit of a residual cough two weeks later, so annoying. I don't get sick often and it has been many years since I have been THIS sick! Happy to be *mostly* on the other end! I went on a hike to Wallace Falls with my friend Layla on Thursday which was fun, and then I subbed in the Learning Center at Horace Mann for the day on Friday. I haven't subbed much at all this Fall, I just haven't felt like I had time for it, but it was nice to be able to help out at Horace Mann for the day.
Yesterday, Lynsey tried out for a club volleyball team. It was a U16 team (regional, not one that travels all over), and she technically could have tried out for U15 because she was 14 on July 1st, but the U15 tryouts were full by the time I decided to sign her up. I really didn't think she would make it. Not because she's not a good volleyball player, but just because I knew there were SO many girls trying out and I know there are girls that have been playing much longer and at higher levels than her. Her and her friend Arabella both tried out for the same team. Watching the tryouts happen was so interesting - I have no idea what system they were using to evaluate these players! I really felt like it would almost be lucky if you got noticed by them and got picked. Well, with about 40 minutes left in the tryout, I saw that the coach had pulled Lynsey aside and was talking to her. She came running over and said he had offered her a spot! Technically you are supposed to have 72 hours to think about it, but the way they were operating felt a bit shady to be honest - it was pretty much implied that if we didn't commit right then, they would offer the spot to someone else that would commit. The truth is there wasn't a huge difference in skill between a lot of these girls so it wouldn't have made a huge difference to them. We had another tryout after that one, but ultimately decided it was too much of a risk to turn this one down. I know about the commitment of this one, I know the game days, I know it's two practices a week, and I don't know anything about the other club she was trying out for. So, she accepted and got on the team! And her friend Arabella did as well! The coach seems like an interesting guy, definitely not a soft and cuddly personality but hopefully a good coach. I asked if they were needing an assistant and he said yes, so I am in process of applying to be the assistant coach! My motivation is two fold - I want to get some coaching experience and this seems like a good opportunity, but it also means I can keep an eye on the coaching that's going on because I've heard some things about this club (Northwest Juniors). So we'll see if that will all work out. They seemed keen to bring me on, but obviously I need to go through the application and I'm sure a background check etc. I'm sure by next post I'll have more details.
So that's that! I was so worried about where Lynsey would play this year, and she tries out and gets picked for the first team we tried for. It just really feels like this all was meant to work out, I hope it's a good experience - for both of us!












No comments:
Post a Comment