Friday, March 28, 2008

Easter in Edmonton - time to roll over!

Wouldn't you know that the day after my last post, Lynsey decided it was time to roll over! We went to Martin and Angie's on Good Friday to hang out with my southern Alberta family, and Lynsey had a very hyper day. She would hardly sit still all day! She was just playing on the floor by our feet reaching for Brian's pantleg when Brian noticed that she wanted to roll over to her tummy so I moved my feet and sure enough! She did it a couple of times that day and she hasn't looked back. A week later, she is doing it consistently when I put her in her gym. It's kind of a pain because she doesn't know how to roll to her back yet so she complains after a few minutes and I have to flip her back onto her back (only to have her roll back to her tummy 30 seconds later). One thing has become very clear in the last week or so - she is going to be a very busy girl. Her little legs are kicking a mile a minute and when she's on her tummy and I lift her off the ground a few inches, her legs are definitely ready to take off crawling! Her arms just aren't there yet. Something tells me that I will be child-proofing our house a bit sooner than I had planned. I guess we'll see!

I have had a nasty sore throat for the last couple of days, but I got some antibiotics yesterday and am feeling MUCH better today. What a relief! I really didn't want Lynsey to get it and so far so good on that front. I think I'm now ready to commit to getting Lynsey on a napping schedule. I've been on the fence for the last little while, not really ready to commit to doing anything consistently to get her to nap better. I've tried a bunch of different things here and there but I think I've finally come up with a strategy that both Brian and I are comfortable with. Lynsey's problem has been that she doesn't sleep for longer than 45 minutes at a time, even though she really needs to. It was sort of working for her, but lately I've noticed that she gets whiney really soon after her nap and I need to put her back down again. This is leading to a lot of catnaps, which is not what we want for her now that she is nearly 5 months old. Today is really the first day I've executed my plan, but today was a success so I'm encouraged! Talk to me tomorrow and I might have a different plan lol. No, I really want to be consistent. I'm putting her in her crib on her stomach (this eliminates a lot of kicking and she seems to sleep a bit better as well) and I stay with her for a few minutes, stroking her head, singing, etc. I then leave the room for a maximum of 5 minutes and if she's still crying go back and repeat soothing technique without picking her up. Today I only had to go back in a few times - quite surprising actually! Brian and I talking about the "crying it out" method and we just weren't sure if we were comfortable with it, so we sort of came up with a compromise. I have let her cry it out before, but she just becomes unmanageable if she cries for too long. Anyway, like I said it worked today (she has slept for 2 hours now, although I did have to give her soother to her half an hour ago) so I will keep you posted on my resolve. I do feel like I need to stick with something - I am too easily swayed by a failed attempt. So I am making it public so I make myself keep it up!










No comments: