Friday, April 12, 2013

"Daddy, are roses for real?"

When your five year old asks that question, it must be time to buy your wife some flowers:). Brian took the hint and bought me some beautiful roses for our 9th wedding anniversary on Wednesday. Hard to believe we've navigated 9 years together as husband and wife! Here's hoping for many, many more!

Adam is liking Samantha more and more. She got several hugs and kisses from him today:). It's been a bit of an adjustment period for him the last several weeks, but I think he is handling it well. It is just going to be a part of his life now, and he is learning to accept it as are the rest of us. We had a great time in Edmonton this past weekend. There was a small hiccup on the Thursday night before we left, though. Adam had probably the worst night he has ever had. He woke up around 10:30pm and was up until 12:30am, crying, asking to go play, asking for breakfast, asking to go to Grandma and Grandpa's house . . . it was awful. He eventually fell back asleep in our bed around 12:30, but was up again at 3:30 for at least a half hour, could have been as much as an hour (trust me, it all blended together at that point). We don't really know what caused it, and we were terrified that it was a new thing he was trying, but he hasn't repeated it, thank goodness! Maybe it was a manifestation of all the change in the last few weeks?? Not too sure how many of those I could handle. I am a stubborn, determined person that does not give in - I always look ahead with every decision I make, causing me to very rarely take any kind of shortcuts that might cost me later. I have never been so close to giving up and just letting him get up, giving him his breakfast and letting him play in the playroom at midnight. That might give some picture as to the desperation we felt! That night did pass, and it is becoming a distant memory now, hopefully never to be repeated!

Nathan is toddling all over and picking up speed! He loves putting things into boxes and bags and containers - I always have to check the washer and dishwasher before running it to make sure there are no foreign objects in there:). He has also started depositing items into the toilet which is always fun. So far no disasters, although he will be the child that drowns one of our cell phones, I just know it! He is becoming insistent on feeding himself at a lot of meals (although luckily not breakfast so far! Self-feeding cereal can wait a bit longer I hope!). He's a character, that's for sure!

We had a great parent/teacher interview with Lynsey's teacher last week! She was much more positive this time, a lot more like I thought she should be. It seems Lynsey has settled into classroom life really well and has shown a lot of improvement in her work, but most importantly in her effort in the classroom. I was never concerned about her work quality, but I am happy to hear that her effort and attitude in the class seem to be improving. She is still testing us a lot with the crying and protesting almost every time we tell her "no", but we are making it through. I keep telling myself it's a season and we just need to be consistent with our follow through and it will come to an end. I have said it before, I will say it again - in a lot of ways, she is my easiest child, and in a lot of ways, my hardest! She is just trying to find her place in this world (Michael W Smith understands:)) and trying to figure out how things work around her. I feel like I am learning not to lose my mind when she gets started on her whining and crying. Practice, practice, practice:).

No comments: