Sunday, May 5, 2019

Beautiful May weather!

May is here and this week is looking like a solid +20 degrees and then some every day this coming week! Spring is charging in! The kids have settled back into real life after our lovely vacation. We had a very quiet Easter, I did a very small hunt for the kids (just a chocolate bunny and the bunny's "carrot", otherwise knows as Reese's Pieces). Brian went to Austin for a few days last week, we managed fine. He has been busy working on those entry way cubbies - they will be done before summer, I am almost sure of it! They are going to be so nice, looking forward to the organization!

Adam had his evaluation at Farrell McWhirter for the City of Redmond summer equestrian camp. I was nervous about it. He did the camp last year, but it sounded like they were going to be a bit more stringent this year, making sure he followed the rules and went along with the class a bit more. He loved the riding portion last year but really had no interest in any part of the class. Well, we told him the day before that he was going to be doing an evaluation and that he would have a to wear a "hat" AND boots (he did not wear boots last year, but he was supposed to and I wasn't sure if they would crack down on that), and he smiled and I could see he was taking it all in. We got to the assessment, and the instructor was a bit late. No problem, Adam was not stressed, just sprinkling rocks in the yard. Instructor showed up, and for 45 minutes, Adam pretty much did everything she asked him to do - with almost NO repeating, and zero anxiety. I honestly don't know if I've ever seen him be so mellow when being asked to do things! He put on his boots and his helmet, walked to go and get saddles and blankets and brushes - I was in shock. He just complied! The instructor, who remembered him from last year, was so impressed with him! She said there was no reason he couldn't take part in the camp, hurray! I guess his fond memories from last year were enough to propel him into doing what he was asked to do - he also got to ride a bit so that was helpful:-). I honestly don't know if I have ever seen him be so even keel, going through the motions, brushing the horse, putting on the saddle (with help), even learning to pat the back of the horse as he walked around her (with some reminders of course). I was blown away, and so grateful! He really has been so much more mellow the last 4-6 weeks than he was this winter. Yes, still asking for repeating, but in a different spirit. And not nearly as often. Time will tell if it lasts, but I hope so!

Nathan had Tie Day at school, and decided that he loves ties now:-). I had to order him one on Amazon, and Brian taught him how to tie it all by himself! He's a determined little guy! We are trying to convince him to learn to ride his bike, but for some reason he is very worried about this and very resistant. I know he will get it if he just gives it a proper effort, but he is not very willing right now. Hopefully we can get him there this summer!

Lynsey has started playing volleyball. She doesn't seem to like it as much as basketball which is a bit surprising to me, since her friends are playing volleyball and they didn't play basketball. Maybe it's because of the structure of the practice, she seems a bit unwilling to put the time in to learn the fundamental skills. She has mentioned several times that she prefers to just play at the family campout. I reminded her that all the adults that play at the family campout have all played on a team at some point and learned those skills, hopefully she starts to enjoy it more now that the games have started. 

Not much else is new with us right now! Brian is going to London not this week but next, so I'll have another 8 days to myself again. It is getting easier to manage things as the kids get older, but it gets a bit exhausting by the end. Hopefully it all goes well.










No comments: