Monday, August 15, 2022

Pool days, kids camps, camping on Orcas Island

We've had a great last few weeks soaking up the beautiful summer! Lots of pool time, and both Nathan and Lynsey had camps the first week of August. Lynsey went to her first sleepaway camp down in Naches with her friend Maggie and had a great time! She did get a bit homesick, but it's the longest she's ever been away from home with no family around her. Nathan did a week of day camp at Sambica again and had a lot of fun as well.

Last week I spent quite a lot of time getting ready to go camping on Thursday. We drove up to Orcas Island Thursday afternoon to camp with the Daveys, Vanees and Lees. The weather was perfect - not TOO warm but warm enough to get in the lake and have a lot of fun in the water, and I wasn't cold at night for a change! Woohoo! It's such a beautiful island, we drove up to Mount Constitution again even though we had already seen it back in 2016. So worth another look! I have such a love/hate relationship with camping. I hate getting ready for it and cleaning up after it, but once we are there and set up it really is a nice break from regular life. This was the last big group trip since the Daveys are leaving for Australia at the end of August (so sad, hard to even talk about:-() so it really felt like the end of an era. I do think we will probably still do some camping, since the kids enjoy it (and I'm learning to tolerate it, thanks in large part to my rather large mattress and cot that I insist on taking which Brian calls "The Queen's Bed" lol). We will see how it looks going forward. It was a nice trip to end the era with in any case!

The next two weeks are going to be a mixture of fun and sadness. Brian's parents are visiting on Friday and staying until Monday or Tuesday, and then in two weeks, we say good bye to the Daveys. Lynsey's volleyball tryouts start next Monday as well, so fingers crossed she gets herself on a team! 

By the way, that last picture is supposed to be a picture of the pod of Orcas we passed on the ferry ride home:-/. I of course was not able to capture them, but it was very cool to see them! Very lucky ferry ride!






























































No comments: