Sunday, February 7, 2010

Road trip!

We left for Edmonton on Friday afternoon and hung out there until Monday morning. We got a chance to visit with some of Brian's friends this time, which was nice. Adam was a bit fussy that first evening we were there (probably from being in the carseat for so long) and I have to admit, there was a feeling of de ja vu. I felt a bit discouraged, thinking that maybe he was going to be fussy after all and it just took him longer to get there than Lynsey. However, he proved that theory wrong over the last week (thank goodness!).

We left for La Crete on Monday morning and the trip went really well! Adam did great, hardly crying at all, and Lynsey also did really well. That evening, Adam was a bit fussy again, but for the rest of the week, he was so good. We had a great chance to visit with my family and friends and he was passed around without a care in the world! It was so much more relaxing than when Lynsey was a baby! He started smiling while we were gone, although it's kind of hard to pinpoint exactly what day he officially smiled for the first time "on purpose". It certainly seems like he's smiling on purpose now, but who really knows with babies this young. On the way back (Friday), we stopped in Westlock to visit with Ryan and Ruthy, and then went on to stay at Brian's parents' for night. The trip back wasn't quite as good as the way there - I think Adam was just tired of the carseat. Lynsey did great, though - she made it all the way to Red Earth and didn't even ask for a movie! She just looked out the window and played with her doll etc. All in all, I have to say it was a very successful trip, and pretty low stress. I'm so glad my family got to meet Adam before he got too big, and that Lynsey got to play with her cousins and spend some time with both her grandparents. She just loves them! Grandpa Mark plays with her a lot, making him somewhat of a favorite right now, but she was also pretty taken with Grandpa Fehr - every time he left, she was asking about him constantly until he came back:).

On Tuesday, real life sets in - Brian goes back to work. I am sort of looking forward to trying to figure out life on my own with the kids during the day and getting my own routine going, but I know I will miss the tremendous help he's been, especially at night. Unfortunately, the little guy isn't doing great at night yet. He had some good nights and some bad nights while we were gone, but he has yet to have a REALLY good night. The longest stretch of actual sleep at night has only been 4 hours, which is okay, but that only happened once. Most nights, 3 hours is the max. It's hard for both of us to deal with so little sleep, but I know it's only temporary. He will get better, I just hope I don't go crazy in the meantime! Luckily, Lynsey has been sleeping until at least 8am for the last month, giving us a bit more sleep in the morning. I think she's going through a growth spurt again, because she is sleeping and eating more these days. Her interaction with Adam is about the same, sporadic. She does love him a lot, though:).














No comments: