Friday, February 22, 2013

"Open Pwease, Kywa"

I mentioned on facebook yesterday that Adam had taken his cheese string over to his teacher and said the above three words: "Open pwease, Kywa". I don't know if everyone understands why this is so significant to us, so I'm doing a blog post to break it down:).

"Open"
The fact that he is starting to ask for things to be opened is a big step for him. We have been working on this for a long time! More and more instead of being frustrated when something isn't accessible, he is learning that he has to ask.

"Pwease"
How many people are working daily with their kids to have them learn manners?? Goodness knows we are still working on this with Lynsey! The fact that Adam used the word "please" is a sign that he is paying attention to the PROPER way to ask:).

"Kywa"
And last but certainly not least, he used his teacher's name (well, her name is Kyla - "L" is a hard one to pronounce:)). This is the biggest deal in this whole thing! How I have tried to get him to use the word "Mom" when asking for things! He has never done it for me, but I am still over the moon that he is doing it with SOMEONE!! He is starting to connect with people and learn the right ways to get people's attention!

So while many people may have seen that status and thought, "oh, wow - so he asked for someone to open his cheese string", it was a lot more than that for us. We pray this is only the beginning and that there will be many more instances of "Open pwease, Kywa" in his future!

No comments: