Here we are on February 1st! Winter is almost over and it is +5C here in Calgary today! I have already forgotten how cold it was earlier in the week - I so love the Chinook winds that we get here:). Let's hope it stays out of the -20's for the rest of the winter.
Adam had an eye appointment on Tuesday morning. Some of the people that know Adam well will know that doctor's appointments cause him a lot of anxiety (and really, by saying that, I am putting it quite mildly). We haven't had a successful appointment for him in a very long time (since before he understood what was happening!). I prayed and prayed all morning, since I was the lucky one that got to take him (he seems to be the most relaxed when he's with me, so I get to be the one who does these things with him!). I literally prayed for a miracle because I knew that the likely outcome would be that he would scream and scream and there would be absolutely no way the exam could be performed. We have no reason to believe that his eyesight is bad, but it's important to get his eyes checked regularly because it's not like he would be able to communicate to us if he wasn't able to see properly. Well, we got there, and his very first reaction when we walked in the door was to turn around and tell me that he wanted to go back to the van. Somehow I convinced him to come sit with me and finish his toast. It truly was a miracle, one that I was so hoping for but really didn't expect! I could see on his face that he was a bit stressed, but I was actually surprised at how little stress I felt from him. He allowed the eye doctor to look in his eyes at first from a distance, but after a few minutes he actually came right up to him with a light, and Adam allowed it! I could not believe it! God is so good, and I give Him ALL the glory for this miracle. I felt a super natural calm over Adam, and I knew God was with him, helping him cope. It put me in the best mood all day, too! Just knowing that he is learning to manage his anxiety already . . . it continues to give me so much hope!!
We also went to tour a different preschool this week, the Providence campus in Beddington. He did so well on this tour as well - new situations do not throw him into the same tailspin that they did even a few months ago! We are seriously considering this option for him for next year, as it is a lot closer to home (only a 7-10 minute drive) and actually, bussing would be free for us instead of $240/month. Something to consider! Obviously if we didn't think it was a good program we wouldn't consider it just to save a few bucks, but it seems like it would be a good place for him. New Heights has been great for him and we love his teachers so much, so we are thinking we might reserve a spot in both to give us some time to decide. I am happy we have two good options instead of none!
Nathan is not walking yet, but has started to crawl on his hands and knees more! This kid is doing things completely on his own timeline:). He cruises along the walls until he get to Brian's office and if the doors are closed, Brian can hear him pushing on the door and after a few seconds he starts yelling, "Da! Da!". He loves being in Brian's office - so many papers around to mess up! He loves playing with balls, and one of his favorite games right now is throwing a ball, crawling after it and throwing it further, crawling after it again. So cute! We love this little guy:).
Lynsey has started saying that she wants to cheer for the Flames. She claims because she is growing up in Calgary, she wants to cheer for the team that her friends cheer for. I think she sees that we don't like this and is pushing some buttons, but it is quite worrying to me. Brian says we should not make a big deal about it, and I agree, but I told her I am drawing the line at buying her Flames clothes! Not in this house! She still likes Ryan Jones so there is hope, but I have to face the fact that I can't control her. Apparently our brain-washing power over her is over and we need to move on to more impressionable subjects - Adam and Nathan, you're up!:)
No comments:
Post a Comment