Continuing on from my last post, I called the midwife around 4:30pm and told her my contractions were getting closer and more regular, 5 minutes apart. They were also becoming more painful (although I had apparently forgotten how much more painful they were going to get, or I would have just told her to meet me at the hospital with an anesthesiologist ready to administer my epidural). She showed up shortly after 5 and stayed with me for a bit while I had some contractions, observing I guess how far along I was. It was actually quite helpful to hear her reassurances as I was breathing through the contractions - there is definitely a mental component to labour. Anyway, she checked me at 6pm and I was thinking that I had to be like 6 or 7 cm dilated at least. 4 cm. I was a bit disappointed, but it was better than 2 or something. Anyway, they picked up a bit after that and we decided to head into the Foothills around 6:45pm.
We got there around 7:15pm and got this great room with a big tub - it was very quiet on the floor and I felt instantly glad that we had gone to the hospital. I had considered a home birth, but the stress of having Lynsey there downstairs while I was trying to give birth . . . the hospital was a good idea. I got into the tub right away, which was really nice and relaxing - unfortunately, my contractions slowed down and got less intense (I say unfortunately, but I have to say it was wonderful for me! I just knew it was bad in my long run goal of actually having the baby!). So after about 45 minutes in the tub, Aisia (my midwife) suggested I get out so as to speed things along. I told her I wanted her to check me because if I hadn't advanced much, I wanted an epidural because all I wanted to do at this point was sleep. I totally wimped out - didn't want to do it anymore. She agreed to check me, told me I was 6 - 7 cm. I informed her that wasn't far enough and I wanted drugs. Luckily for me, she was trained in dealing with whiners and told me that if I let her break my water, it would go really fast. It was shortly after 8pm at this point. I was afraid of the increased intensity this would bring, but the prospect of speeding things along won out in the end and I let her do it. She wasn't kidding. Adam was born at 8:25pm - about 20 - 25 minutes after breaking my water. The second midwife didn't even make it to the birth - Aisia had to call in a nurse to help! She wasn't even prepared for how quickly it would go! I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on anybody (I actually thought I was going to die at some point - literally) but to go from 6 cm to birth in 20 minutes . . . apparently you can endure almost anything for that amount of time! I don't think I cried when I gave birth to Lynsey, but I definitely cried this time - it was much more intense since it was so fast.
So out he came healthy and hungry:). He nursed for 45 minutes right after birth! It was then that I realized that I did not have a second Lynsey on my hands, but a totally unique baby. He was 8 lb 8 oz and 20.75 inches long. Almost a whole pound heavier than Lynsey was and basically the same length! He looks a bit like a football player with no clothes on - where on earth did THAT come from?? Definitely more of a Fehr than Lynsey that's for sure! So midwife philosophy centers around home recovery, and I was sent home at 10:40, just 2 short hours after giving birth. Amazing - I was so happy to be going home. I had a nice bath in the hospital and my adrenaline made me feel invincible! Unfortunately, it also kept me going long into the night at home. It was really too bad that I was still so wired when I got home because he actually slept reasonably well that first night. Oh, well - what can you do! Lynsey marched into our room as she always does the next morning and was thrilled to meet her brother. Her voice rose a few octaves as she talked to him - very cute:). Mary and Dave actually came by yesterday afternoon, and it was good that Lynsey had the boys to play with. She didn't pay much attention to him yesterday until later on that night when we were alone again - then she started talking to him again. I think she'll be a great big sister!
Last night was a bit sketchier - he was awake quite a bit. And what an eater! He just ate and ate and ate some more! I was so not prepared for that - Lynsey never was much of an eater. It was like a necessary evil to her. Well, this morning, I dug out a soother for the little guy because I think he needs some relief for his sucking needs besides just nursing. I mean, if he's eating for 45 minutes every 2 hours and then STILL rooting around for something to suck on, I figure a bit of soother use won't kill him.
I feel really good, although the bad thing about coming home so early is that I see everything that needs to be done and I want to get working and I know my body needs to recover. I am trying to sit and lay down a lot, but it takes a conscious effort for me as I still have a bit of adrenaline going in my body. Luckily, Brian has been great with being proactive about doing things like dishes and laundry so I don't see them lying around and get irritated and do them myself. He knows his wife!
So that is the story of how Adam Josiah Kroeker entered the world at 8:25pm on December 31, 2009. Yes, I realize how close I got to the New Years baby, but there was no amount of free stuff and recognition in the world that could have convinced me to labour for an extra 3.5 hours to make it to midnight, even IF I had the choice which I didn't! Bad sports birthday, but I figure it will be good for him - he'll always have to work that much harder than the other kids, building his character and making him strong:). As for his name, we picked Adam because it's a strong, masculine name that sounds good with Kroeker, and Josiah partly because I looked it up a while ago and saw the meaning was "God will Save", and partly because Brian looked up King Josiah in the Bible and thought it was a good choice to pick the name of a kid who become a king at age 8. Here come the loftly expectations! I will try to keep everyone posted as I can about how things go over here over the next while. Brian is taking paternity leave for a month so he will be home until early February - Hallelujah!



















5 comments:
hey well done sarah he's beautiful and yeah it's kinda interestin kinda hearin a sorta step by step guide lol i'm not goin in so blind to this givin birth as much lol but really well done lots of love and luck happy new yr x x x x x
He's beautiful Sarah. Lovin' the chubb!! Congrats and enjoy that sweet newborn face!
Congratulations Sarah, Brian & Lynsey! Glad to hear everything went well...also, love your name choice...classic & powerful! Congrats!
thats awesome congrats guys
lots of love from denmark
Congratulations Sarah!
You are an amazing woman!! I loved hearing his birth story, thanks for sharing!
All the best to you and the rest of the family! Adam is so precious, love the baby chubbs!! Also I really, really love his name :)
Laura
Post a Comment